Thursday, February 21, 2013

Behind the Masks

One of the sights you will always see in Times Square are people in costumes.  The kids love it.  Typically, you can see them standing around the Disney store handing out chocolates or taking pictures with excited tourists.  I've always ignored them, but I recently read an article in The Wall Street Journal that described a day in the life of the people in these costumes.   

Most people only see the fun and silliness of it all.  They get hugs, kisses, and smiles from kids and their parents.  However, what we don't know are the people BEHIND the masks.  You will come across an array of characters in Times Square including:
  • Elmo
  • Superman
  • Mickey Mouse
  • Minny Mouse
  • Cookie Monster
  • Spongebob Square Pants
  • Buzz Lightyear or Woody from Toy Story
  • and more!


Many of these characters are actually undocumented immigrants from Peru or Mexico who hardly speak English  With the tough economy, many have found themselves subjecting to this type of work.  They wave at the crowds of people who walk by, motioning them to snap a photo.   After photos are taken, they hold out a  bag in the hopes for a dollar or two, or even some spare change.

A woman mentioned in the article named Isabel has worked as Minnie for a few years.  As Minnie, she earns about $45 to $50 a day.
"I prefer coming here because people hug you," she said. "They treat you better than when you go to a factory."

This article really made me think.  I guess I was ignorant to the fact that those who dress up as Elmo or Minney Mouse do so in an effort to feed their families back at home.   I used to think that they were just a bunch of high school kids having fun.  I've always felt bad for them during the summer months when it's extremely hot and they have to be in those costumes all day.  Most of them don't even speak English!    
You can check out the article for yourself:  Behind the Mickey Masks
Next time I see an Elmo or Cookie Monster in Times Square, I will be sure not to ignore them, and help them out a little.  Every dollar counts.  Let's all think twice about these costumed characters.   

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I feel guilty after reading this article, knowing that every time I walk around in Times Square and see them, I always want to take a picture but never leave a tip. I use the excuse I don't have any money on me when it is obvious that I just don't feel like reaching into my bag. They often try and follow you around after taking a picture and not tipping them. I'll think twice about it next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to leave a tip either, but this article really opened my eyes to the hardships these guys face on a daily basis. Glad you will think twice now!

      Delete
  2. When I see these guys i crack up! They don't play you cannot take a picture which them if you don't put any money in their little sacks. And when you ask "can I take a picture" they tap the top of the sack its so funny. but pand handing in nyc is so popular and these people actually make decent money most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is really popular, but you can't make a living on $50 a day. It's sad, and most people don't pay attention to it.

      Delete
  3. Love the new background by the way

    ReplyDelete