Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Dreaded Tourist.

It's funny that I am dedicating an entire blog to Times Square because I try to avoid it most of the time!  The amount of lost, confused, and obsessed picture taking tourists is awful.  If I get asked by another sightseer, "Do you know where Times Square is?"  while they are IN THE MIDDLE of Times Square, I am going to lose it!


Maybe it's that "New Yorker" attitude in me, where my patience grows thin while I am rushing to work in the morning.  Trying to get by and attempting to avoid all the people that are selling me things, trying to get me on a tour bus, or stopping short in front of me to take a picture.  And no, I don't want to take a picture of you and your friends.


Here I am trying to get by to go to work, and I can hardly walk without having to step around people who are lost or slowly strolling .  Perhaps there should be 2 separate lanes for people to walk in on the sidewalk.  One for the New Yorker, and one for the wandering Tourist :)  haha.


However, I have been a tourist in many countries and cities before as well.  I'm probably just as annoying, if not more so, when I travel.

Despite all my complaining, i DO love the atmosphere when I'm not in a rush!  Especially on a nice spring or summer day.  :)  And yes, tourism does boost the economy.  But whatever, tourists are still incredibly annoying.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post. Lately, I've found myself going to the city with my friends from Germany, just to walk around taking pictures of everything like tourists do. They actually know the city more than I do! Recently we went to see the Christmas tree and just enjoyed the city during the holiday time. I think we took about 50 pictures just in the span of a few blocks because everything was so lively. We stopped people by the tree like any other 'tourist' would do and asked them to take pictures of us anywhere we could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha don't get me wrong, I'm in the city everyday, and still find myself taking pictures as well. I always love the tree, it's a spectacular sight. Maybe I'll dedicate a blog to it ;]

      Delete
  2. It's so funny that you say that! I too find it so annoying and aggravating as well! When I use to intern in Times Square I only wanted to get in and out! Especially during rush hours which are the worse! But then you have those tourist who are always just in the way taking pictures, asking questions, or just lost in the midst of it all. I would even take side streets to find my way to Port Authority to avoid the traffic jam of tourist in Times Square. NYC being the melting pot it is, there are bound to be tourist there every single day so it takes getting use to. But nonetheless, Times Square is the heart of NYC and with that comes the many people from all over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. During rush hour is THE WORST! But like you said, it's a giant melting pot and is always exciting...when you don't have to be somewhere =)

      Delete
  3. Need To Boost Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions?

    Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your chosen ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete