Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"Should The Creepy Times Square Costumed Characters Be Regulated?" by the Gothamist Blog

As I write about Times Square, I like to draw inspiration from other related blogs.  I came across a blog that I love to read on a daily basis called, the Gothamist.  The Gothamist is a great interactive blog that is updated on a daily basis about all types of news and events happening in New York City. 

Lo and behold, today there was a blog post about the Costumed Characters in Times Square!  I recently posted about the same topic in a post called, Behind The Mask, so I found this blog post esepcially intriquing

On Sunday, a man dressed as Cookie Monster allegedly shoved a child and cursed at his mother when she didn't tip fast enough.. The situation has attracted so much media attention that now regulation is being considered.


 
 Check it out:  Gothamist .  This blog was written by Sophie Keelman, an avid Gothamist blogger.  She writes,
"Super Mario groped the woman...Elmost was ranting anti-Semitic things, Spider-Man punched a woman int he face.  Now a kid was attacked my Cookie-Monster.  And those are just ones where there's been an arrest!"
While these characters are supposed to be harmless and all in good fun, this situation is actually very frightening.  It even made the front cover the NY Post.  Cover of NY Post



Even though I have felt bad for the people that are forcred to work as a costumed character, there is no excuse for this type of behavior.  In fact, I'm glad I have become aware of what is going on.  It's sad that people have to ruin such a fun and enjoyable part of the Times Square atmosphere.  Kids get so excited when they see their favorite character, and they should never be victimized to any sort of this distrubing behavior.

I hope immediate action will be taken and there will be regulations for these characters from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment